Search Box

Monday, January 11, 2016

Virtual Reality (VR) And Emotion

I Finally Tried Virtual Reality and It Brought Me to Tears (+Video)

Trying VR at CES made me feel more connected to my 18-month-old son

John Patrick Pullen | January 8, 2016


The light poured directly into my eyes. It flashed, strobed, pulsated, faded, and changed color, desperately begging for my attention. Meanwhile, my ears flooded with a radio dial full of sound: an ad for a steakhouse, music by Rihanna, comedy shows, everything all at once. It was, in a word, overwhelming.
[...] But the VR experience that moved me to tears was Toy Box on Oculus Rift. A virtual sandbox where you can play with all kinds of toys, this game lets two players interact in the same virtual space simultaneously. Each player wears their own Oculus Rift headset and headphones, with a controller in both hands. From there, anything goes: You can take target practice with a laser gun, get in a firefight with one another’s toy tanks, or pull apart a robot doll and wear its parts. [...] And for a moment, I was a child again, with this giant person lovingly playing with me. It gave me such a profound perspective on what it must be like to be my son, that I started to cry inside the headset. It was a pure and beautiful experience that will reshape my relationship with him moving forward. I was vulnerable to my giant playmate, yet felt completely safe.

As teased last week, HTC and Valve have officially unveiled their collaborative virtual reality headset, named RE Vive. Source: http://www.gamesradar.com/valve-htc-headset-revealed-supports-body-tracking/

<more at http://time.com/4172998/virtual-reality-oculus-rift-htc-vive-ces/; related links: http://www.cnet.com/news/everyone-wanted-a-piece-of-virtual-reality-at-this-years-ces/ (+Video) (Everyone wanted a piece of virtual reality at this year's CES. All they need is you...but how soon will you use it? January 10, 2016) and http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/07/welcome-to-the-future-virtual-reality-at-ces.html (+Video) (Welcome to the future: Virtual reality at CES. January 7, 2016)>

No comments:

Post a Comment